With a big move approaching, there are many things potential movers need to coordinate for a smooth transition into their new home. At the top of all pre-move checklists: wireline services. This is for a good reason, as much of our life is dependent on reliable, high speed connectivity to power your home command center.
With nearly half (46%) of new subscribers signed up to a new home internet service when they moved1, this moving moment has only become even more critical for wireline providers to build new customer relationships. With searches for "address change U.S. post office" growing globally by over 80,000%2, the pool of potential movers that could be prompted to new wireline providers has expanded greatly in the last year.
The stakes are high since acquiring and retaining existing customers has become even more valuable for wireline providers. Customers have increased their average spend by over 5%3, given the pandemic prompted additional connectivity needs.
With the rising increase in wireline expectations and customer needs, providers must breakthrough in key moments like a big move. Search demand has increased dramatically for key moving themes that indicate moving is top-of-mind, like "storage unit near me", which has grown globally by over 80% year over year.4 Learn the three key strategies for new customer acquisition to drive successful wireline growth.
Message to the mover's audience early to make it into the consideration set. 88% of post-paid subscribers subscribed with a provider that was in their initial consideration set.5 Awareness is critical - most consumers subscribe with providers that are top of mind. Search plays a large role in the purchase process, with over a quarter of home internet consumers using search in their most recent purchase.6
Digital is at the center of the mover's journey home and wireline providers must be present and enable easy conversion whenever the mover is ready. Being present on the path to purchase and valuing each step of the journey is crucial. And home movers are more likely to interact with online touchpoints on the path to purchase, meaning providers must be digitally nimble as these needs arise.7
Use the right digital formats. Consider leaning into YouTube to tell a compelling brand story, YouTube Brand Connect for expert reviews and tech influencers, and Local campaigns to offer the ability to visit a store for more help.
Attribute value and optimize for the right business outcomes. Google Data-Driven Attribution (DDA) uses machine learning to dynamically give credit to each ad interaction based on historical performance and Google Autobidding with DDA optimizes in real-time to help reach more in-market consumers likely to convert.
Message additional value. 80% of new subscribers who have mobile wireless services in their bundle believe it is very important.8 The inclusion of mobile wireless services within a home internet bundle has become a top priority and a way to increase customer value. Utilize Dynamic Search Ads and Google audiences to message high value bundling features to those that may be considering a move, personalizing to their needs as they move from potential movers to those in-market for a move or relocation.
Wondering how to activate these strategies for your business? Reach out to your Google teams to plan a successful moving season and beyond today.
1. Google/BCG "Path to Purchase" Study and Consumer survey, US, Jan 2021, Wireline N=435, Aged 18+
2. Google Data, Global English, Dec 22, 2020 - Feb 19, 2021 vs Dec 22, 2019 - Feb 19, 2020
3. Google/BCG "Path to Purchase" Study and Consumer survey, US, Jan 2021, Wireline N=1,565, Aged 18+
4. Google Data, Global English, Dec 22, 2020 - Feb 19, 2021 vs Dec 22, 2019 - Feb 19, 2020
5. Google/BCG "Path to Purchase" Study and Consumer survey, US, Jan 2021, Wireline N=1804, Aged 18+
6. Google/BCG "Path to Purchase" Study and Consumer survey, US, Jan 2021, Wireline N=1804, Aged 18+
7. Google/BCG "Path to Purchase" Study and Consumer survey, US, Jan 2021, Post-paid Wireless Subscribers N=1,220, Aged 18+
8. Google/BCG "Path to Purchase" Study and Consumer survey, US, Jan 2021, Wireline N=486, Aged 18+; Had Wireless Mobile Services in their new subscription bundle