Carhartt manufactures premium clothing known for exceptional durability, comfort, quality of construction and fit that you can feel in the fabrics and see in the performance. Established in Detroit in 1889, our corporate headquarters is today located in Dearborn, Michigan and our U.S. facilities are located in Kentucky and Tennessee. We have company-owned retail locations throughout the U.S. and our flagship store is located in Midtown, Detroit. We are proud to be making best-in-class apparel for the active worker. Our work environment is friendly, business casual, family oriented and welcoming to all. Our dedication to quality is not only reflected in our products but also in our people. At Carhartt, we are committed to providing our consumer with a brand they can trust and depend on, our associates with career challenges and rewards and our communities with support and assistance. “I believe that when a man wears an article that I manufacture, his self-respect is increased because he knows that it is made by an honest manufacturer, who is honest with his employees. - Hamilton Carhartt ”
Carhartt. Outworking them all since 1889
The Director of Global Product -Technical Design has oversight of all functions and tasks within Technical Design for all business units: men’s, women’s and Industrial. The Director oversees research and development of fit and construction. The role is responsible for strategically planning and leading strategies and processes, within established guardrails of the product and business strategies keeping Carhartt as the leader of work wear. The role builds and fosters strong collaborative relationships with internal/external partners, and cross functional teams. The Director is responsible for developing the team to meet the current and future needs of Carhartt and its consumers
- Lead the strategic development of the technical design department. Provide vision and strategic plans on future Technical Design direction linked with corporate strategies and initiatives.
- Manage Technical Design development and execution process, integrating milestones and timeline into overall process requirements.
- Is accountable for establishing and maintaining fit blocks for all categories to ensure consistency across all areas. Continuous evaluation of the human body dimensions that idealizes our consumers. Maintains library of fit blocks, actual samples, forms and digital avatars.
- Leads process to conduct and share out competitive market research for fit and construction.
- Establishes standards for fit, grade rules and construction details in alignment with business unit. Commercializes fit and grading from concept to pre-production, hands off production ready tech packs to supply chain.
- Sets process to maintain fit model protocol to confirm existing blocks, creating new blocks and approving fit for seasonal development.
- Provide input and support in the development of overall Product vision, strategic plans, and prioritization of initiatives.
- Partner with all leaders at Carhartt to ensure alignment and linkage to all strategic and tactical plans.
- Develop budget for the department and provide qualitative and quantitative results on a timely basis.
- Manage and lead the teams by hiring, training, coaching, counseling, developing and strong mentoring. Create an environment that supports and rewards strong performance and professional growth.
- Develop and foster key relationships with counterparts in merchandising, design, product development, global supply chain, quality, insights.
- Train and on-board new and current vendors regarding technical design requirements, encouraging speed to market and product innovation.
- Bachelor's Degree Preferred in Related Field
- Equivalent work experience may be considered in lieu of degree
Required Skills and Experience
- MBA preferred.
- Minimum ten years of progressive experience in Technical Design.
- Minimum six years of leadership experience of a professional technical design team.
- Demonstrated leadership in development of fit strategy with a focus on product performance and quality.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills and aptitude.
- Demonstrated ability to build and foster business relationships with cross functional teams, and internal and external partners.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; and exceptional listener and communicator who effectively conveys information verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and negotiate.
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to prioritize workload, delegate work and concurrently manage multiple projects.
- Office Environment
- Weekend Hours
- Travel (50%)
- Tobacco Free